Sicilian Cannoli – I swear you will fall in love in the first bite!justhitreviews_lekz3m - January 19, 2021
Sicilian cannoli is one of the most popular desserts in the world. The original cannolis recipe dates back to the 9th century during the Arab domination in Sicily when prepared for the first time by the nuns in one of the Sicilian convents. Years ago, the cannolis recipe was a Carnival dessert, while today we will appreciate them all year round.
These fried dough tubes filled with tasty ricotta cream enriched with chocolate chips and decorated with chopped dried fruit and nuts will delight your taste buds. Besides the ricotta cream, you can prepare many tasty fillings for cannolis recipes like pistachio cream, chantilly, or chocolate cream.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Total cooking time: 15 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of cocoa powder
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened (or lard
1 beaten egg (to use 1/2 for the dough and 1/2 for the cannoli closure)
¼ cup marsala
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
And 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
Vegetable oil for frying
Cream for cannolis recipe:
3 cups ricotta well-drained
1 ½ cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Prepare the cream by placing ricotta and sugar in a high-speed blender, and blend until creamy. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add chocolate chips. Stir well to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Place softened butter in a bowl, add sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Whisk until you get a creamy and frothy mixture. Add the egg and whisk again until well incorporated.
- Add sifted flour and cocoa powder. Mix well to combine.
- Stir in vinegar and Marsala.
- Transfer the dough on a lightly floured work surface and knead until you get a smooth and compact dough.
- Wrap the dough with cling film and refrigerate for an hour.
- Divide the dough into four equal parts. Roll each portion into 1/8 inches thickness.
- Divide the dough into 4×4-inch squares.
- Place the cannoli cylinder in each square’s centre and brush the rest of the dough with a beaten egg. Seal the cannolis recipe.
- Transfer cannoli onto a large baking sheet and refrigerate them for 45 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Fry for about one minute, flipping it frequently.
- Transfer them on kitchen paper to remove the excess oil. Remove cannoli cylinder.
- Place the cream in a piping bag and fill cannolis recipe on both sides.
- Garnish and serve.
- Dough squares need to be as large as the cannoli cylinder.
- Use a pasta machine to roll the dough.
- Decorate cannolis recipe with powdered sugar, chopped nuts, fresh fruit like blueberries, or candied fruit.
- If you don’t have metal cannoli cylinders, you can make them with several aluminium foil layers.